Skip to main content

Iran condemns new US sanctions as economic terrorism

· 3 min read

Iran condemns new US sanctions as ‘economic terrorism’

TEHRAN —Iran’s Foreign Ministry has condemned the latest US sanctions against the country, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long campaign of economic pressure that Tehran described as “economic terrorism” and a “crime against humanity.”

Iran condemns new US sanctions as ‘economic terrorism’

In a statement issued Thursday, the ministry said the new sanctions, announced around the anniversary of the 1953 coup that overthrew Iran’s then-government, were the latest manifestation of decades of US hostility toward the Iranian people.

Tehran said the sanctions represented an unlawful and coercive policy that undermined the basic rights of ordinary Iranians. It called for those responsible for imposing the measures to be held accountable, arguing that the sanctions constituted serious violations of international norms.

The ministry said the latest measures followed 'US-Israeli wars against Iran' over the past 18 months and the failure of efforts to force Tehran to accept 'illegal and anti-human ambitions.'

Iran said the continued use of sanctions would not weaken its determination to protect its independence, national dignity and sovereignty.

'Sanctions and economic pressure are the other side of the same coin of war and military aggression,' the ministry said, arguing that Washington’s reliance on both tools had endangered international peace and security.

The statement also called on governments committed to the principles of the United Nations Charter to oppose 'repeated US violations of international law and state sovereignty.'

Iran said the latest sanctions represented a continuation of a policy that had already failed to achieve its objectives. Repeating the strategy, it argued, would produce no different outcome and would leave responsibility for any resulting consequences with the US government and those who designed and implemented the measures.

The Foreign Ministry said Iran remained determined to defend its security and national interests against 'US military, economic, political and psychological pressure.'

Drawing on 'seven decades of resistance to US pressure, intervention, military action and state terrorism,' the ministry said Iran would use its national capabilities and available instruments to counter the pressure and protect its national interests.

The statement comes as Washington continues to rely on economic sanctions as a central instrument of its policy toward Tehran. At the same time, Iran maintains that such measures have failed to alter its strategic positions.

Tehran’s latest response underscores its longstanding position that economic sanctions should be treated as part of a broader confrontation rather than as a separate instrument of foreign policy, and that sustained economic pressure will not force Iran to abandon 'core national interests.'

source: tehrantimes.com